Pennsylvania International Week:
What is it? How do I prepare?
Pennsylvania International Week (PIW) is almost here! PIW is actually more than a week and it is more than the name itself may seem. PIW is a series of events set up across the state of Pennsylvania to give companies an opportunity to sit down and talk with authorized trade representatives (ATR) in more than twenty markets worldwide. Pennsylvania companies are able to talk to the ATR in a market they are interested in getting their company involved with in some fashion. The ATR is able to learn about the company, discuss ways to compete in the global marketplace and assist in finding leads for doing international trade there.
The services provided by the ATRs come from the direction of Pennsylvania’s Office of International Business Development at the Department of Community and Economic Development, which include:
- Gathering marketing and competitive intelligence
- Providing insight and analysis on market entry strategies
- Identifying overseas partners, distributors & agents
- Providing regulatory information
- Identifying relevant trade events
- Conducting foreign company background checks
- Organizing in-country meetings and logistical assistance
- Assisting with trade leads
Pennsylvania’s ATRs will be meeting with companies in the south-central Pennsylvania on April 3rd, but companies have to make an appointment, as space and time is limited. The World Trade Center of Central Pennsylvania is organizing and sponsoring the event on April 3, 2012 to be held at the Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey.
In order to meet with the ATRs, companies must:
- Contact the World Trade Center of Central Pennsylvania to register their attendance and indicate up to three of the participating markets you are interested in meeting with the ATR
- Maintain contact with World Trade Center of Central Pennsylvania for updates and advice in identifying the best markets with whom to meet
- Send some background information on your company to the World Trade Center of Central Pennsylvania so that they may educate the ATRs about your company, prior to your meeting
- Bring business cards and brochures
- Provide follow up material electronically after the meeting, because ATRs are often unable to take paper materials with them
Pennsylvania’s Office of International Business Development works to grow existing Pennsylvania companies by providing assistance to listed above as well as bring new jobs to the Commonwealth through the investment of foreign companies here in Pennsylvania. It is through partnerships with the World Trade Center of Central Pennsylvania and the Harrisburg Regional Chamber / Capital Regional Economic Development Corporation that fulfilling these goals and seeing success across Pennsylvania becomes a reality.
For more information about the Office of International Business Development or other economic development services, visit newpa.com or call 1-866-466-3972.